Oct 16, 2016

Floating Witch Hats



 Is October finally here?! Hooray! I absolutely love this time of year! Who doesn't? The leaves are changing into beautiful colors, pumpkins are everywhere, Halloween is just around the corner, and best of all- the decorating is too much fun! Last year I had a few Halloween projects on my list but never had enough time to complete them. This year I made sure to get ahead. One project I completed so far are these floating witch hats! This was super easy, cheap, and looks spooky, especially at night! 

For this project I used: 

-4 Witch Hats 
- 4 battery tea lights (or glow sticks)
- elastic string (or fishing string)
-4 screw eyes



The first thing I did was measure how long I needed to cut my pieces of string. This can be just a rough estimate because you can adjust it at the end. Once I had the pieces cut, I tied the string around the "flame" of the candle, and then double tied a knot about halfway in the middle of the string. 




As far as the Witch hats go, I found the cheapest ones I could find. I ended up finding these at Walmart for about $2.00. They had fake hair on them, so I just cut it off. I lucked out with this step because the tags were punctured in the tip of the hat. I turned the hat inside out and threaded the string through the hole and when the knot reaches the tip it will turn the hat out again. If you aren't so lucky at this step, just use a needle to thread your string through the tip of the hat. 



  

Once I had the hats squared away, I figured out where on ceiling I wanted them. I spaced them out evenly, but off- off set them a little that way they weren't in a straight line. I drilled a pilot hole first, and then screwed in the eye.


I tied the hats to the eyes and done! Now when I tied them, I made them different heights. This is where I said you can adjust the length of your string at the end. 



For now I just used the battery operated tea lights because that's what I had at home. They do flicker which is nice, but to be honest, they aren't the brightest at night. You can see them just fine up close but from the street I can't even see them. As an alternative you can use those orange glow sticks with the hook and just tie the string around the hook. If you go that way, you'll have to replace them every day then. They also make LED glow sticks which is what I might use instead. These are probably the best for brightness and you can reuse them every day. 

Other than my experimenting with the lights, this turned out to be a cute project!  I already got a few compliments from friends and neighbors. I can't wait to show off my spooky witch hats during Trick-or- Treat and my Halloween party!

I hope you enjoyed this fun Fall project! Please share if you like it! Thanks for visiting Farmhouse Flare today!

Sincerely,

{Lauren Taylor}
 
 
 
 




 

 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment